Friday, September 30, 2011

There Will Always Be Hope. . .Part 2

You know the story of Jesus walking on water, right? Its a good one. I love Jesus in the story of course but I really love Peter and his example. Yep, Peter. I just love that apostle of the Lord! He teaches us a lot in this story. Let's review. The apostles are on a boat in the middle of a sea in the midst of a storm. All of a sudden they see Jesus but don't know it's him at first, they actually think he is a spirit on the water. Wrong, it's Jesus and he tells them to fear not and to be of good cheer.

Alrighty, let's stop there. Can you imagine? You're in this horrible storm, you see a spirit and you're all afraid and then you see Him. The Savior of the world walking on the water, the storm tossed water. I know what I would be thinking, "Hey! get in the boat, it's crazy out there!" I don't think I would really notice that He is walking on water. But Peter does, and he wants to walk on water too! First off, I don't have that faith. Peter is incredible. All Jesus says is, "Come." So he does, he walks on the water but we all know that he starts to sink because of whatever reason you want to put. It could be attributed to a lack of faith, fear, the storm, many different reasons. What I want to focus on is what Peter did after he started to sink.
What did Peter do? "He cried, saying, Lord, save me." Peter is a fisherman, he can swim! He could have swam back to the boat but he didn't. He cried for the Lord. There are so many times in my life where I swim back to the boat and almost drown on the way back. Let's face it, I'm not a good swimmer like my companion Sister Nestman. I see my Savior in my storms of life and I get fearful and almost drown on the way back to the boat.

What Peter did was the smart thing to do. He reached out and cried out for His Savior. He knew that he need to call on Him for help. When we are in the storms of our lives we need to reach out for our Savior. We need to cry out for Him and do all that we can to rely on Him and not our own strength. Nephi teaches us, "that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." (2 Nephi 25:23) We just can't wade in the water just hoping He will pick us up and bring us back to the boat. We need to reach out to Him and get back into the boat with Him just as Peter did.

He then counsels us to "Follow Thou Me" 2 Nephi 31:10. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment