Wednesday, October 12, 2011

There Will Always Be Hope. . . Part 3

Don't you just love the title of my blog post? It is so true! There is always hope, there is always a way to come back and come back clean. How do we do this? Well, we are given the opportunity to act and to follow Jesus Christ in word and action.

In 2 Nephi 31 verse 10 of the Book of Mormon Jesus Christ says to "Follow Thou Me." This whole chapter is devoted to Him being baptized. We know that He was baptized by immersion, or He was under the water entirely, by John the Baptist who had the proper priesthood authority. A lot of people have asked me, "wasn't Jesus perfect? If so, why was He baptized?" The above mentioned chapter of 2 Nephi answers that question:

"Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments." (2 Nephi 31:7)

He was being obedient to the commandments that God gave all of us. He invites us to "Follow thou me" and we follow Him by being baptized. This is the gate way to live with out Heavenly Father again. He wants us to return to Him and he has provided a way that we can get there and given us the perfect example to follow.

I remember when I was baptized and the hope that I felt. I remember being in our car and looking out the window on our way home from my baptism. It was a whirlwind of a day and sitting there I think I was finally able to realize what just happened. As I sat there in the car I remember feeling happy and just peaceful. It was a different peace than I had felt in a long time or ever before in my life.
I just turned 10 and my life and my brother's lives had been chaos for the last 11 months of 1996. The chaos came from a tragedy that struck my family. My mom died in February and my dad passed away just a few months later in September. My life then went through more struggles and heartaches after that but the day of my baptism was different.

That peace I felt was different than I had ever felt before and it came with a feeling of hope; more like an assurance. I felt like I was one step closer to my parents and just one step closer to being with my Heavenly Father again. I can't describe the peace that came but I know now that it was my Heavenly Father letting me feel the hope that comes from this gospel.

Being baptized isn't just a commandment but it's a blessing He has given us to be able to return and live. To return and LIVE. We will live again, we will live again with our family and our Heavenly Father. He loves us and gives us a way to return to Him and have everlasting joy.

We just need to act and repent and follow His commandments and keep on keeping on. There is always a way back, there is always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment